Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bonnie (my mom) and George Ernest Baker

Bonnie (my mom) and George Ernest Baker

Mom thinks she and George Baker (my biological dad) were married in November of 1956. She never kept the marriage license (Bummer on that!) or divorce papers so a date can only be guessed. She believes that after a year of marriage she became pregnant with me and so this is how she is coming up with the marriage month and year of November of 1956. They were married at the justice of peace office in Newport, Kentucky. I was born in Newport, Kentucky.

And this is the rest of what mom had to say via email: "As usual I was alone and had to beg Mom to go sign for me...no one else was there...she went straight home ..George and I went and had coneys and a coke and went to stay at his Mom and Dads house..we rented a room as soon as he got his check..I did say A room..bathroom was down the hall and everybody on that second floor used it. We had a bed and a chair and 2 hooks on the wall to hang clothes. But we really didn’t feel deprived as both our families were poor as church mice. George was working at a clothing factory that made mens suits. He was a cutter with huge shears and cut out the patterns of layers of material . Can’t remember the name of the place..seems like Palm Beach or something and it was in Newport. Strange that Babe also worked at a mens clothing factory but she was a seamstress..in Cincinnati. Later George landed a great job with Mc Greggor sporting co...making golf clubs and real good money. Don’t remember how much. I think he stayed with that company till he retired. He transferred to Florida while there."

George was very jealous of mom (Bonnie) and had an explosive anger problem and was at times abusive. She believes they divorced when I was about two or two and a half years old. That would have been in the year of 1960 or 1961.

Some facts -

1. I rolled my head back in forth in my crib watching a cuckoo clocks pendulum swing and it would put me to sleep.
2. I had spinal meningitis as an infant and it almost took my life. The high fever is most likely the cause of loss of hearing in my right ear.
3. I was a happy baby.
4. I rolled my head in bed for a very long time and did it even into my 30's. It was a motion I found calming and it helped put me to sleep. Of course I was embarrassed of it and never did it when anyone was around. Weird how that stuck with me though huh?




^ Bonnie Sue Baker (Hall) and George Baker. I'm guessing this is probably that one room they rented shortly after they were married.



^ Mom pregnant with me. She was 17 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment